Ever since going gluten-free, having macaroni and cheese is one food I have not really been able to have! Most gluten-free macaronis were available but I wasn't able to find one that was dairy free! Some recipes I found were to difficult too make or just took too much work than I wanted to do. Luckily with this recipe it is the exact opposite. It is both gluten and dairy free and it doesn't need many ingredients! It's a great side dish for Thanksgiving or really any time or year you crave mac & cheese. I find myself craving it every once in a while and I think this recipe is perfect to fill that craving.
This is recipe #7 of the 14 Days of Gluten-Free Thanksgiving!
- 8 ounces uncooked gluten free pasta
- 2 cups Daiya Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons gluten free bisquick or all purpose flour (See link)
- 1 cup of Daiya mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1 pinch paprika
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs (I use Glutino bread crumbs..see link)
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in enough gluten free bisquick to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
The 6th recipe of the 14 Days of Gluten-Free Thanksgiving below!