Gluten Free Mango Salsa Fish Tacos (Jackie Ourman)

I’m so happy to be here writing a guest post for my friend, Taylor! Not sure if you've read the wonderful and informative post he wrote for me a little while ago, Tips for Parenting a Child with Celiac Disease from the perspective of a 15-year-old. Taylor and I met on-line shortly after we both began our blogs. I often tell him how much he helps me as well as so many other parents think about celiac disease through our children's eyes. I always love to read his posts because I feel the perspective he offers is incredible!

It's Celiac Awareness month. Both Taylor and I, along with some other amazing people are part of a blogger campaign for the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness sharing our personal stories about celiac disease (wait...did I just say I was amazing? THEY are amazing! You know what I mean, right?  Anyway, check out the list, here.). I'm honored to be part of the group and I hope you will join us and help raise awareness for celiac disease this month and always!

Back to food. I’m a culinary student and mom of 3 boys. I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and so was my second son, Jeremy. He already had life-threatening food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts and sesame and so did my oldest! Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed. You can read my whole story, here. The gist of it is that I've always loved food and instead of wallowing in the misery of thinking about what we can’t eat, I've decided to learn about everything we can eat. My plan to is to share that information with people living gluten-free and with food allergies everywhere! 

So, here is a wonderful recipe that is naturally gluten, dairy, nut-free and just plain delicious…Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Avocado Cream. Enjoy!




Ingredients:
  • 1 lb haddock (or other white, flaky fish)
  • 1 lime
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Olive oil to cover bottom of pan
  • 1 very ripe avocado
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp of Tabasco (or more if you like things spicy)
  • Mango Salsa (Recipe in link or use a store-bought gluten-free brand like, SantaBarbara.)
  • 4 Corn tortillas
  • Non-stick spray or vegetable oil
  • Crunchy romaine lettuce for garnish

Directions:
  1. Season fish fillets with juice from ½ of the lime, salt and pepper.
  2. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
  3. Add olive oil when hot and then pan fry fish until lightly browned on both sides and cooked through. (Fish will break since it is flaky. That’s ok. We’re just going to break them up for the tacos anyway!)
  4. In the meantime, either food process or finely mash your avocado with salt, Tabasco and juice from the other ½ of the lime.
  5. Heat large non-stick skillet or griddle and spray with cooking spray or coat with a little bit of vegetable oil. Lightly toast corn tortillas on both sides.
  6. When fish and tortillas are ready, assemble tacos. Fish first, then avocado cream, crunchy lettuce and top with mango salsa.
  7. Dig in!


You can find more of Jackie’s delicious creations on her blog, Celiac and Allergy Friendly Epicurean (C.A.F.E). You can also find her on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest, and Instagram below!
Follow Jackie Below!
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment